Geelong Weather

click to visit geelong weather.com

Monday, May 14, 2012

Bannering

Time for a post as I have something to show and say. 
I have been busy making a banner for Abbey's 21st birthday on the 1st June. Owls are everywhere, does anyone know how they became so popular?

Mother's Day we went to Mahjong Restaurant in Fitzroy Street St Kilda.  and feasted on Yum Cha lovely , lovely dumplings of all and every variety. Then a short walk to a cafe for a coffee.Sunday was bleak cold wet day in Melbourne Town.
 

However the coffee after Chinese Tea was welcoming

We took the scenic route back to the Southern Cross Station capturing some of the scenery on the way.

Windsurfers, both photos taken from the comfort of the car with the window wound down and getting wetter that the surfers.

The front seat passengers, Keithums got blocked out. 

  and the male toilet , first time I have seen a toilet in another language .

Now onto the history lesson for the day.

Port Melbourne  - Station Pier    Lighthouses.lighthouse

This part of Melbourne I know little about and have only been down to Station and Princes Pier three times in my life. In the 1960s when it was fashionable to GO to London and work was by ship, and I came down to see a friend off on her big overseas trip. In the 1962 I came down to see the Nella Dan the Icebreaker vessel, leave on her maiden voyage to the South Pole and ten years ago Keithums and I went to Tassie on the Spirit of Tasmania.


The Port Melbourne Lighthouses were built in 1924, and in conjunction guided ships by marking the centre of the Port Melbourne Channel from Port Phillip Bay.


The Spirit Of Tasmania yesterday  

















The 109 Box Hill Port Melbourne tram brings you just a hop and step away from Station Pier so I will have to come back one day in the Summer time and have a better look. Hope you had a lovely day yesterday as I did.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

lovely post Margaret,yes the owls are very popular at the moment,not sure why though.xx

Frances Leate said...

What a fabulous banner Margaret and I may put one on my to do list. Station Pier brought back a lot of memories as I was on those ships back in the early 70s which took Aussies to and from working holidays in the UK. Take care.

carole johnston said...

Wonderful pics I really enjoyed your blog,I missed your last couple somehow so congratulations to your lovely grandson and I am so glad you had a lovely day out.

Soggibottom said...

Lots of love and congratulations on your 21st birthday Abby Babes...
:-) X X X

Margaret said...

First off, happy 21st birthday in advance to Abbey! Love the owl banner -- so cute! Lovely pics of your day too -- loved seeing them all and reading about it all too.

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Great post Margaret...sounds like a good day! About those owls...yes me too, I'm getting a bit hooked about them too...even got a lampshade for Mother's Day with them on it!!!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Looks like a good day out, Margaret, and what a very nice banner you have made. Yes! That birthday definitely deserves celebration, for so many reasons.

Bev C said...

Hello Margaret,

Pre Happy Birthday to Abbey, this one will certainly be special for you all. Loved reading about Melbourne, have been on the Spirit of Tasmania,glad to hear you had a wonderful Mother's Day.

happy days.
Bev.xoxo

Dani - tkdchick said...

Yes, owls have become popular and VERY cute! Lovely banner!